by Leimo on August 4, 2014 in Hair Loss Treatment
“Every day, we use a lot of personal styling and hair care products that are loaded with tons of chemical ingredients.”
What we do not know is we are rarely safe when exposed to many of these ingredients. According to the Environmental Working Group, 1 in 8 of the 82, 000 ingredients in personal care products are chemicals including carcinogens, pesticides, reproductive toxins, and hormone disruptors.
Hair care products are no exception. Most shampoos, conditioners, mousses, sprays, etc., are packed with potentially dangerous chemicals that can trigger a variety of health issues.
Here are some infamous hair care products.
- Parabens (methylparaben, butylparaben, ethylparaben, propylparaben, etc. ) are toxic preservatives found in most hair care products. When it enters the system, they can reduce the sperm count. Also, they have been linked to breast cancer.
- Propylene glycol allows other chemicals to enter the system and makes the product stay in shape under different temperatures. However, this cheap petrochemical can take away your skin’s protein and cause irritation, allergic reactions, and even kidney or liver failure, being worse-case scenarios.
- Sodium lauryl sulfate makes hair care products lather like your shampoo, bar soaps, or toothpaste. SLS is also a penetration enhancer and washing surfactant. SLS, on the other hand, is potentially carcinogenic especially in large amounts. Furthermore, it can change genetic information in the cells. It can even worsen hair damage because it can also change protein structures in the skin and as such, is harmful for the hair follicles.
- Synthetic colors make hair care products look attractive. Synthetic colors are produced from coal tar, which in animal studies, have been found to be potentially carcinogenic. They trigger allergic reactions, skin irritation and nerve problems because it can deplete the oxygen supply.
- It has been reported time and again how like many inorganic hair care products, mineral oil is a very harmful byproduct. It is actually derived by distilling petroleum to produce gasoline. Manufacturers use mineral oil esp. in facial moisturisers, lip balms, hair conditioners because aside from being cheap, it can give a shiny and glossy effect. Mineral oil can clog your pores and damage the skin cells’ ability to get rid of wastes and exchange of nutrients. Several studies have noted the link between this substance with brain embolism, cancer, lung damage, and gastrointestinal problems.
- Fragrances in hair care products are made up of at most 4,000 synthetic chemicals that are poor imitations of real herbal fragrances. These chemicals can accumulate in your body in amounts that are enough to cause headaches, lung problems, rashes, skin discoloration, violent coughing and vomiting, and allergic skin irritation.
You can always have the option to stay away from these chemicals in most products. Check the label. But the immediate solution is to go natural. There are a lot of organic-based hair care products/counterparts that don’t only give less aggressive, less harmful side effects, but will probably do the job better. In fact, mild products should be your first choice.
Read more about 3 DIY Hair Care Regimen for Different Hair Types.